Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I'm Feelin' 22! (by: Jessica)

I don't know about you, but I'm feelin' 22!

Well....sometimes. After a few glasses of wine, maybe. My knees..... they feel 112.

Anyway- today I am 34. I was born on this day. So was my sister, Jill. (yes.... twins)

 I was thinking this morning about birthday's in general and about why people wish ME a" happy birthday"?

Shouldn't they be telling MY MOM "happy birth-day"? I mean, this is the day she birthed me, 34 years ago. She did all the work.  I just laid there. Shouldn't we be giving her presents and cake and well wishes and singing to her?

 I also had this thought on Cece's birthday a few weeks. For a hot second I thought......"I should be the one being celebrated. 2 years ago TODAY I was in terrible pain, looked like a weeble wobble, and lost all dignity and privacy." But then I snapped outta my selfish twlight zone and continued to sing, "happy birthday dear, Cece, Happy Birthday to you." (then I added my own name to the song under my breath.)

This year for my birthday, year 34, I couldn't be happier. Happy for so many reasons. Not only did my husband do REALLY good at gift giving (this is something he really struggles with and obviously has been working at. This is a big deal. Big. Huge. ) but I am finally surrounded by my friends and family after being out of state for the last 8 birthdays. Ever since I turned 25 I have celebrated my birthday with no family or long-time friends in sight. For the last 8 years, there has always been a sad, homesick feeling in my heart on August 20.

Not this year, bit**es!!!

What an awesome feeling! For people who have always had family in their back yard, you will never know how important they are or how much they are missed until you are far, far away form them.

Tonight I'm having birthday pie (Razzleberry) with ice cream with my family. I love and appreciate  how my father-in-law shares my obsession with pie and ice cream (and other desserts in general). It reminds me of the sugar-loving bond my dad and I had. Pretty sure Cece has inherited that gene and I couldn't be prouder. She had 3 bowls of sherbet last night. That's my girl!!

Looking forward to next year (and the many years that will follow) when we can all gather in MY kitchen, at 1220 Jessica Lane, sing the classic song, blow out the candles, and eat pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment