Sunday, August 24, 2014

Wha 'append? (By: Jess)

I am a Disney fan! I heart Disney! I grew up on Disney, have been to WDW a handful of times and still believe it is THE most magical place on EARTH. I have seen every Disney movie and can quote (word-for-word) about a half dozen of them. I'm a fan and always will be.....

But

Let me say this.....

What is it with mommy and daddy dying in some of these movies?

This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately because Cece and Leo are just now getting into movies. They are starting to actually sit down and watch the move for a significant amount of time. They are starting to know names of characters and learn the songs.  Its a milestone, I think.

Some of the movies that we watch on the reg are:
Frozen
Tangled
Lion King
The Rescuers
The Little Mermaid
Finding Nemo

Both kids love these flicks.

Both kids have asked the same question, at the same point in the movie, every time.

Whenever a death scene/sad scene occurs I hear (usually from Leo) "Mommy, wha append?"

When Rapunzel's "mom" dies (Tangled)
When Anna and Elsa's parent die (Frozen)
When Simba's dad dies (Lion King)
When Ariel has to leave her dad (Little Mermaid)
When Penny cries because she docent have any parents (The Rescuers)

When I first heard this question I tried to avoid it. Like I try to avoid the question "what did you spend $50 on at Walmart?"

I said, "I don't know....."

Like the $50 Walmart question, I eventually had to create an answer.

In Frozen...... Ela and Anna's parents die in a tragic shipwreck. The two sisters are left along and scared asking "what are we gonna do?"

 Its heart wrenching.

After this emotional scene, Leo ALWAYS says in a sad voice, "Mom, wha append?"

I eventually said, "Elsa and Anna's mommy and Daddy went on vacation."

Death at sea.

In Lion King, Simba's daddy is trampled by a stampede of (some animal) after falling, practically 1,000 feet, from a cliff.  I hold my breath every time.  Its so tragic. (especially since it was his brother who pushed him from said cliff).

 Leo always waits until the part when Simba is trying to wake his dad up.

After a few attempts, he crawls under his dad's cold, lifeless paw and nuzzles his little lion cub head again the dead corps of his father...... and cries.

Seriously, Disney?!?! How necessary is this?!?!

Leo (like clock work) asks, "Mom, wha append?".

I have nothin for this one. I said, "Simba'a daddy died."

Leo looks at me, wide eyed, with a small pout on his face and says, "but why?".

My (brilliant and thought out) response..... "because."



Brotherly Love.

In Tangled, Rapunzel's "mom" gets stabbed with a huge, sharp shard of glass and trips and falls out of a window to her untimely death. I think this was a bit much.  Cece is usually the one who question's this murder scene.

"Mommy, wha appened?"

Me.... "Rapunzel's mommy fell down."

Murder.

In The Little Mermaid, Ariel has to choose between love and family. She chooses love and has to bid a sad farewell to her Dad and sisters..... and based on how the movie ends, it appears she will never see them again in her lifetime.

Horribly sad and depressing.

Why didn't Erik turn into a mer-man? He didn't even have a family to leave behind. I swear.... women are always sacrificing for men. Always.

Anyway- Leo always says, "Where is her Daddy going?"

Me.... "He's going to work."

Saying Good-Bye



In The Rescuers, Penny has a sad low moment. It was adoption day at the orphanage and she was by-passed for a prettier ginger. It's pathetic and makes my lip quiver. And don't even get me started about the part when she is crying and that horribly sad song is playing in the background. C'MON!

Leo had (2) questions on this one....1. "Mom, why are you crying?" and 2. "where's her mommy and daddy? Did they go to work? Did they go to church? Did they go exercise?"

And then THIS happened......

He started to cry.

Heart. Broken.

Poor Penny scene

In Finding Nemo, in the opening scene, Coral is ravingly attacked by a sharp-toothed fish and then eaten. (it's assumed) Nemo's dad is heartbroken and is left alone to raise Nemo all by himself.

When Leo asks, "What happened to his mommy?"

Me...... ""she went to the grocery store."

I guess I'll eventually have to explain what a "widower" is. Ugh... I don't know if I have it in me.

Nemo death scene


My problem with these scenes is that I feel they are forcing me to explain death, grief, dying, and kids with no parents to my 2 and 3 year old. I think that's a little heavy to explain to them. I feel it's a little much for their small world.

I mean.... Cece has only been in this world for 2 years. 2 YEARS! And already I'm expected to explain horrible and sad things to her?! I don't want to ruin her "sunshine and rainbows" view of the world just yet.

I've decided to continue to avoid these discussions with my happy kids. I will continue to sugar-coat these scenes until I can't anymore. Then I will work my way into explain the details of death and dying and sadness to them. Can't wait for that day.

I already have decided that The Fox and the Hound and Bambi are movies that Leo and Cece will NEVER see while under my watch. When they are grown, have their own homes with their own TV's and DVD players (or whatever is invented by then) THEN they can choose to watch those life-altering movies. Until then.... banned from our home.






No comments:

Post a Comment