Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Joy of the workplace (By: Jessica)

Work is something that I have a love/hate relationship with. There are times I love love love what I do. There are times I absolutely, positively despise what I do. Some days I can't see myself doing anything else in life. Some days I question myself 100x's "why did I choose to do this?". Sometimes I am positive that God put my on this earth to do exactly what I'm doing. Sometimes I think God intended for me to do something totally different. It changes a lot....my feelings about my profession. But, I think that's normal with all areas of life. Isn't it? (please agree!)


Overall....I feel very blessed to work where I work. Let me tell you why....


I work at a building called "The Darby Building". A 7th and 8th grade building named after an old lady...Mrs. Darby.... who we tease haunts the building at night. (which is our excuse to never stay late!) This building is old. Very old. But, it's comforting to me. I walk in everyday to what feels like my living room. I don't walk in stressed, nervous, anxious, scared, or sad. (Well...sometimes) I walk in to a familiar place. That's a good feeling.


The other teachers I work with are God sent. Really. I don't know if I would still be here if it wasn't for these peeps. In fact....I KNOW I wouldn't still be here if it wasn't for these people.


When I moved to SC 6 years ago, I never in a million years thought I'd stay this long. I needed a job and I figured I could do anything for a year. If it didn't work, I'd be back....and honestly...planned on being back. But, I seemed to fit in swell with the Darby Building....so I figured I'd stay. The people here opened their arms to me and I willingly walked in.


Let me introduce you to some of the stars of my workplace....


First you have our school Secretary...Ami. Love Love Love this lady! I love being able to go up to her office during my planning time and chat it up with her! We have the best discussions! I especially love the ones we have where we have to whisper and close the door! Those are the best! Her smile can make a bad day better and her laugh is contagious! She's very helpful and her work is always "right on". She gives great advise and has NEVER told me to "just wait" since I've been pregnant! Huge points!


Next, is my Social Studies co-hort, Kerri. Her and I are very similar...In our personal lives as well as our professional. Her and I both teach S.S. so we always have a lot to talk about and we have very similar teaching styles. She is a wonderful teacher who I steal a lot of great ideas from! She is also extremely fun and funny! Her laugh is contagious! We have a very similar sense of humor and find certain things funny that most people wouldn't! Kerri makes my days here fun and without her, I think this place would be very very boring.


"Sister Linder" (Linda....ELA) is next. What an amazing, Christian woman! I look up to her so much! I don't know if she knows that.... She's stylish, professional, supportive, faithful, fun-loving, and all around amazing! She is the only woman who can dress up on "senior citizen day" in a bath robe and curlers and still look beautiful!! She's the only woman who can slip and fall in the hallway and break her wrist and still have grace....and look beautiful! (she didn't even cry!) WOW! Linder is awesome and I feel blessed to have her in my life!



Mrs. Jo Patterson.....Math...... (said in a perfect southern accent) is the most entertaining lady in our building...I think! She always has the best stories and is always up for any type of game!! My type of friend!!! She has the best recipes and her corn dip is something I dream about! (seriously.) I rarely see Jo without a smile and if I do, I find it hard to smile as well. She also has the sweetest husband I have ever met and her sons are equally as impressive as her! Jo Patterson is just one big "buffet of pleasure" to all of us (LOL)!!


Kristen (Science) is new to our staff this year, but it doesn't feel like it. It feels like she has been with us for years and years! God knew we needed her and placed her in our building as a gift to all of us! Not only is she an AMAZING teacher, but she is a barrel of laughs! I love her quirky sayings and hilarious "ma" stories! When I met Kristen last summer I immediately loved her! I am amazed by her love of HS sports and how she NEVER misses any type of football or basketball game! She has great passion for a lot of things and I wish to God I had her energy and drive! I feel like I can learn a lot from her (and I already have) and am looking forward to all the years I have to work with her!




Carla Sue. Love Carla Sue! (ELA) She's always a good time and I can always guaranteed a good conversation with her! She's very laid back and doesn't let little things bother her! If you ever want to chill out and relax, go sit next to Carla! If you ever want a good laugh, go sit next to Carla! If you want to "hear it like it is", go sit next to Carla! Carla also shares my deep passion for JCPenney's, so we have our great fashion sense in common!! Even though her driving always makes me car sick, I can always count on Carla to put me at ease and put a smile on my face! Oh, and by the way, she has the prettiest legs I have ever seen! Just sayin....


Wanda (Math) was sent by Jesus himself to work with me. She is BY FAR the sweetest woman I have ever met! She wears her heart on her sleeve and really cares about everyone! I have never heard anything negative come out of Wanda's mouth and Im totally not kidding. She is the most supportive, kind, helpful, grateful, and sympathetic woman I have ever met. Not only is she one helluva teacher, but she is a teacher I look up to. She is one of those teachers who, no matter how long she has been teaching, still does new and interesting this in her classroom. I admire that! She has taught them all....and all of them love her! Wanda is someone I aim to be like and someone I thank God for everyday!


Coach Bush (Science). Ahhh..... Coach Bush. Your smile reminds me of my father and for that I love you. Coach Bush doesn't have a lot to say, but when he does, I'll listen all day long! I love his passion for football and how he coaches our kids every fall! Our 7th and 8th grade boys look up to him in a way that will melt your heart. Kids love him, the staff loves him, women love him.....did I mention he's crazy attractive? Well.... he is. Toby, don't be offended. You should actually thank Coach Bush..... because of him you now have a good idea of what I want you to look like in 30 years.


Leslie (Business) has been my "neighbor" on and off for a few years. Whenever I see Les I want to break out into song with the theme song from Mister Rodgers. (take a min and sing it to yourself....) I love being able to go out in the hall between classes and see her smile. Even if we only have 4 min to stand outside our doors and give each other a "sigh" and say "3 more hours" or "2 more hours", that's sometimes is all I need! I also love looking at Leslie...and not in a weird, stalker way. She is beautiful and so put together! I actually look forward to seeing what kind of outfit she will have on or what kind of accessories she will have on or how she will wear her hair on a certain day. Everyday is different. It's like a Christmas surprise everyday! Who wouldn't love that?! Leslie is also a good time and whenever I plan ANY type of trivia game, I want her on my team.


Gene Wood (from Greenwood). Guidance. Need I say more? This man is one of the reasons I have stayed in SC and at Ware Shoals as long as I have. I love me some Gene Wood! He is not only available to to offer guidance to our students, but I have been know to bust up in his office and take a seat and ask for guidance as well..... and he lets me! Gene was a program attendant at my wedding.... and you know how important a job that is! (lol!) I love Gene's quirks.... and sometimes can be envious that he can find better "deals that are steals" than I can! Gene always has the best stories and I can never get enough of his southern accent. He also has an incrediable ability to make a song out of any situation! I love walking into my classroom and seeing a little gift on my desk. From Gene. I love receiving a card, after an administrator brought me to tears. From Gene. I love that the SC flag that hangs proudly in my classroom. From Gene. I love the comfort that I feel at my job. From Gene. See why I adore this man?


Laurie (Special Ed) is the entertainer of the group. Laurie keeps us all guessing! She is a riot! Sometimes I think she comes to work for a break...cause once she goes home, her real job begins! Laurie wears many hats! She teaches 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. She also has 3 kids, a husband, and pets. Regardless of how crazy and busy her life may be, she always is interested in what's going on with everyone else. She's concerned about how everyone is doing and whats happening in everyone's lives. I don't know of a day where Laurie didn't ask me how I was doing or how my day has been. She cares deeply about others and is a wonderful friend!

I feel it important to give a shout out to my friend, Maria. She does not work with us in Ole Darby, but she used to. I miss seeing her 19 times a day! I miss working with her on all the field trips and planning events. It's no fun doing it all by myself. But, at least she's still here and alive and my friend....just not down the hall anymore. As long as I know she's still "in the building", I suppose I can handle it. Thank goodness for IM!!!

Well...there you have it. The above people make up my world. They are great people. Sometimes I spend more time with these people that my own husband or family. So. I guess it's a good thing I like them! Just hope the feeling is mutual!!

Go Hornets!!




3 comments:

  1. I sure can tell you that as far as a parent is concerned, you are all those and more. You bring a passion to school that is contagious to the kids, when my kids were in your class they would come home and rave about you. I experienced your passion when I knocked on your classroom door one day and you did not hear me knock. I cracked the door and watched your classroom, the kids were quiet simply mesmerized by your enthusiasm and passion. I watched for several minutes and wished that every teacher possessed the unique qualities that you do that captivate our children and help them learn in a way that is fun to them. Frankly, I wish I had teachers like you when I was in school, maybe I would have continued my education. I just cannot say enough how special and dear you are to my family. All of the parents, children and other teachers could take a lesson from you on how to enjoy your job and see what a difference it makes to people every day. Thank you, for teaching my children and teaching them that learning can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh CIndy...how you ALWAYS make me smile and touch my heart! You are to to to good to me! I remember that day you knocked on my door and I felt like an idiot that I didn't notice you were standing there! I thought, "Wow! She must think I am the biggest airhead!". Glad to know that you don't! Lol! For what it's worth....having your boys as students was all my pleasure! They made my job fun and easy and so enjoyable! Wish they all came like that!! Love you bunches! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truth does not always hurt, now does it? You are a jewel, and we are all so glad that we found you :0) XOXO

    ReplyDelete