Monday, January 31, 2011

Random Question #2 (By: Jessica)

Here's another random question, from the warped mind of.....ME.

But, this question I think I have found my own answer to....

Question: Why do bad things happen to good people?

My own personal conclusion: I think bad things happen to good people because these are the people who God holds in the highest regards. Let me explain....

In the past when something "bad" happened to me (death, loss of job, heartbreak, ect...) I used to question God and think, "Wow. What did I do to deserve this? Why is this happening to me? What did I do wrong?"

At one point, I became so angry with all "bad things" happening, that I turned my back on God for awhile and attempted to live life on my own. With no help. No guidance. No faith.

That didn't last long.

I began to be very jealous of people I knew, who never had to deal with any of the junk I have had to deal with. People who had NO IDEA what it felt like to have their heart broken. People who had NO IDEA what it felt like to love someone so much and not have them love you back. People who had NEVER, EVER, lost anyone close to them or watched in agony while someone they loved slowly died. People who had NEVER witnessed the pain of death. People who had NEVER had to work "so hard" to achieve simple things..... like a job.

I was so jealous of these people. They were living their lives on cruise control.... and my life seemed to be outta control.

But then suddenly, I all made sense to me.

I don't know how it happened or exactly when it happened, but it was like all of a sudden a light was switched on.

I suddenly felt very lucky for all the "bad-ness" in my life.

I suddenly felt honored.

Like, "Wow. God must think pretty highly of me. He must have a lot of faith in ME, if He chooses to give me all this burden. He must really think I am a strong woman. He wouldn't just give all this crap to just anyone. Most people wouldn't be able to handle all this, like I could. He knows that. Those people, who I was once jealous of, should be jealous of ME. He knows they can't handle tough things. He knows that they are not strong enough or don't have the faith it take to get through situations like that. But, He knows that I DO. That's why all this burden is put on MY shoulders and not theirs. Wow. "

So, that's my answer to that question. Maybe it's "right" and maybe it's "wrong" and maybe there is no answer.

But coming to that conclusion has helped me deal with a lot of "bad stuff" and has helped me handle negative things that life deals me.

So, now, I don't feel jealous of others who seem to have a "simple" life, free of all "bad things".

I feel sorry for them.

I hold my head up high and say "thanks" to God when something "bad" happens. I thank Him for thinking of ME, and having faith in ME, and trusting ME to handle specific situations, because no one else would be able to handle it better than ME. What an honor.



1 comment:

  1. I saw a Beth Moore video once where she said "God doesn't DO bad things to people, sometimes God does them FOR people". When you have gone through a tragedy, loss, or some sort of longing or suffering- there is a level of understanding of grace and strength and gratitude that I don't think can exist without hardship. I'm with ya through and through on this one.

    ReplyDelete