Thursday, January 27, 2011

Random Question...... (By: Jessica)

I ask myself random questions daily. Sometimes multiple times. I ponder these questions for long periods of time.

One that has been haunting me for years.....yea, years concerns the homeless.

The homeless have always made me wonder. I don't know why, but ever since I was little, I have always been (for lack of a better word) fascinated with the homeless.

I remember being told by my mom when I was younger, "stop staring" whenever I would see someone without a home.

I remember while on a class trip to NYC, getting scremed at by a teacher for taking pictures of a homeless man. I wasn't doing it to be rude or disrespectful, I honestly wanted to snap a photo and study it farther when I got hime. My mom always told me starting was rude, so in my own little world, taking a picture was quicker, more polite, and definatly not staring. It's important to know that the picture never came out correctly when it got developed. I specifically remember quickly flipping through all 200 of my NYC pictures, to try to find the single pict of that homeless man. My heart broke when all I saw was a blurry blob.

Currently, whenever we drive past a certain spot as we are getting off of I-385, I tell Toby to "roll down the window.... give him some change" and then I spend the next 30 minutes (at least) thinking of this........


My question: Why do homeless people NOT commit crimes in order to be placed in jail?

Think about it.....

If you are homeless, jail would be like staying at the Ritz. 3 meals (maybe even snacks... I'm not sure how it works), a bed, roommate, toilet, shower, friends (possibly a "relationship"), exercise, TV, heat/air, clean clothes.

Sounds nice if you have next to nothing, right? I thought so too.....

I mean, this could be your plan if you were homeless..... Rob a gas station or a bank.

This is a no-loose situation.

If you get caught and arrested, you're IN! Jailhouse rock, baby!

If you surprise yourself and are actually a good crook, and you DON'T get caught...... at least you made off with a good amount of cash and/or a buffet of gas station eats.

You know I'm right.

This question will forever haunt me.

Please don't take this question as being disrespectful. It is just something that I have always wondered....similar to how the person became homeless in the first place.

Possible answers to my random question that has been haunting me for years:
1. Drugs?
2. The choice to be homeless was optional and they actually enjoy being one with nature?
3. Jail is a lot worse than I imagine?
4. There is some law where police will not arrest a homeless person?
5. All homeless people are "good honest people" and would never think of doing such a thing. gasp.

I'll keep thinking about it, I'm sure.

Lindsey, what's your thought? I'm with ya - except I can't help to wonder about Ted Williams, the guy with the "golden voice." According to your theory, he should commit a crime for a better life. Ted was given a second chance in life all because a reporter took the time to stop and "see" him. Grant it, Williams had a gift that set him apart from other homeless. And his fame hasn't exactly been easy for him as he has already been in rehab. But even so his life will never be the same. Ted is in a win win situation. Rehab or fame, he's not on the streets, and he didn't even have to commit a crime. He has a change for "better" life all because he was acknowledged and recognized.  So maybe we should stare, acknowledge, and help the homeless.

I just saw on Dr. Phil that he left rehad and (Phil) believe's he's still using..... Drugs apparently are powerful little buggers. Whatever. This guy confuses me.


Yes, I'm not exactly sure what is going on.  All I know his he's been given the opportunity to turn his life around, it would be a shame to see his addiction ruin him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment