Thursday, May 17, 2012

"The Help" (By: Jessica)

"No lifting....anything, No going up the stairs. You are allowed to sit up to eat and shower. No loading the dishwasher or doing laundry. No grocery shopping, or any shopping. No field trips. No more going to work. Don't drive a lot. Avoid being vertical. Take it REAL easy. Ok? Ok."

Come again?

 Is this a joke? 

Where's the hidden camera?

 Why do you want me to die?

As I opened my mouth to object to my doctors unrealistic, totally absurd, off the wall orders......... my husband blurts out, in a zippity-do-da voice, "OK! Got it! Thanks, Doc! Ready to go, Babe?"

WHAT?!?! Have you all gone insane!!??

When my doctored ordered me to go on "bed rest" I don't know if I ever really took him seriously.  I mean, he might as well told me not to blink anymore or refrain from swallowing. I wanted to stare at him for a long minute, then bust out in a loud and obnoxious BAHAHAHA! But, I didn't.  That would have been rude. Instead I looked at him, like a deer in headlights, and held back tears.

I immediately thought.... this is it. This is how it's all gonna end.

I spent the entire car ride home thinking and thinking and thinking and thinking.

I've got to give up control of my child, home, and job. I've got to let someone else take over. Who? How? When?

After a little panic attack of the mind, I calmed down, and took a deep breath. All was gonna be OK. This will be fine.

And they were.

People came out of the wood work for us! I was so humbled and gracious and thankful and overwhelmed with all the help that was immediately offered to us.

Meals starting coming. Parents came to the rescue. The babysitter and her entire family were at our beckon call. Our friends from church came like soldiers, ready for battle, to help us move. Family and friends called, send texts, mailed cards, and checked up on us and we have never felt more loved.

It was (and still is) amazing.

It's amazing how one can go from feeling so alone, to feeling like the most important person in the world.






No comments:

Post a Comment