Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Monthly Meal Madness!!! (By: Jess)

At the beginning of every month I get giddy. I get excited. I get restless. I get anxious.

"Why?" you ask.....

Cause I get to go to the grocery store!!!!!!!

No, I'm not kidding. Let me explain....cause I feel that it's necessary to explain such nonsense.

Every month I plan out a meal calendar for our family. I try my BEST to make homemade dinners at least 5 days a week. I plan for us to "eat out" at least 2 times a month. Date night, family dinner at Chick-fil-a, whatever.....  I go to the grocery store once a month and spend between $300-$350. I pride myself on this and take it very seriously. I enjoy all the planning and organizing that goes into this. I don't think anyone else in the family (ahem...tobywilliamrolfes) takes it as seriously or appreciates it as much as I do, but that's another blog entirely. (smooches!)

If you are wondering how this is possible or how I manage to do this......keep reading.

If you don't give a rat's ass and could care less how I plan my monthly dinner menu/grocery list, then keep reading anyway. You obviously have a few minutes to kill.

It all starts with this.....











And this......



 












I print off a blank monthly calendar and a "grocery list" template that I got from my pal, Kerri. (actually...I have an official binder that I keep extra copies of both these documents in, but for the sake of making myself like like a complete weird-o, I'll skip past that.....)

I first fill out the calendar.

I start by crossing out the days when dinner will not be prepared or served by me.

I make note of days that month when we will be out of town, have other plans, the Governor invites us over for dinner, ect....

 I NEVER cook on Wednesday's and every other Thursday or Friday. Those days immediately get a big "X" through them. . These are the days that Toby closes at work, and doesn't get home until 8:30pm or so. Usually, these nights I just "fend for myself" or eat "Leo scraps". Sometimes I will eat leftovers or sometimes I will resort to something frozen or even make a run to McDonald's, Wendy's, or some trash like that.  Some days, when I'm feeling extra fluffy, I'll just skip dinner altogether and obsess about how I wish I could be anorexic. I find joy in crossing out those days. It's the little things

Next, I start filling in the other days with random meals.

I think about what is easiest to cook -vs- what takes more time, what Toby likes, what Leo likes, what we haven't had in awhile (a throwback meal), and finally.....what I like....if there a day or two extra to fill.

I try to include one chicken, seafood, pasta, and red meat meal per week. TRY is the keep work here. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it just doesn't.

Some of our "go-to" meals or "regular offenders" on the menu are as follows:
- Chicken, Noodles, and Mashed potatoes
-Corned Beef Brisket
- Honey Pecan Salmon
- Chicken Fajita Pizza
-Mexican lasagna
- Pigs feet (kidding! ha!)

Some of my "easy-peasy" meals include:
- Toasted Ham and Cheese sammies
-Homemade tortilla pizzas
- Pasta
- Marinated and grilled chicken or pork chops
- Crock pot meals (cube steak, pork loin, turkey breast, soup, ect...)
- Wine Store Burritos

I usually have a few new recipes that are that I want to try....thanks to my BFF "pintrest"....... and I will normally save those for Saturday's or Sunday's. Those are the days when I have more time to prepare and experiment.

Next, I make out my grocery list. This usually is the part that takes the most time. I usually spend a couple days on this part, if I'm being honest.

I start with a blank sheet of paper. Lined. College ruled. No fringe. (kidding! ha!)

I look at all the meals I am planning on making, and make a list of all the ingredients I will need. This usually includes stuff like meats, fresh vegetables/produce, canned items, and some spices (if I'm out). 

Next, I think about what I want to serve as side dishes. These are usually the same for most meals. Steam fresh rice, steam fresh veggies, garlic bread, and mashed potatoes are some common sides.

After that, I make a list of items we normally need. Dishwasher soap, laundry detergent, toothpaste, shaving cream, Clorox wipes, pop, bottled water, coffee creamer, milk, cereal, paper towels, hemorrhoid cream, tooth picks, antifreeze, mouse traps..... ya know, the normal items.

Since I am a recovering crack junk food addict, I only allow myself to buy (2) junk food items per month. One for Toby and one for me. Toby usually requests iced oatmeal cookies or Doritos, while I usually go for nutella or ice cream, depending on my mood.

Lastly, I will list items that dear sweet Leo Beck requests. These usually consist of "Leo snacks" (Ritz crackers, graham crackers, grapes, blueberries, Cheerios, cheese, vanilla wafers), frozen fruit and frozen mixed vegetables, spaghetti o's, hot pockets, and PB&J uncrustables.

At this point, I have a STELLAR grocery list made up of dinner ingredients, side dishes, normal monthly items, 2 junk foods, and Leo's list.

I then organize it into "categories" on the grocery list template. Not only is this the 2nd time I write my list, but it helps me remember exactly what's on it so I'm not running around the store like a rabid chimp.

I usually plan to go to the grocery store on Tuesday's. This is Toby's day off, so he is available to keep the kiddo's and I will go to the store right after work.

My "route" usually consists of (2) places. Aldie's and Walmart or Bi-lo.

I don't know about some people, but I heart Aldies! Not only do I save BOATLOADS of benjamin's by shopping here, but I love love their produce. It is cheaper and always lasts longer. To each his own. Some people would never be caught dead in Aldies. I'd go there naked. Anything to save a dang dime, right?!

Whether or not I go to Walmart or Bi-Lo usually depends on if I had a chance to skim through coupons or not. If I have a handful of coupons, then I will go to Bi-lo, cause they will double them!!  If I was a huge slacker and didn't gather any coupons (usually the case), then I will just hit up Walmart and buy all the "great value" items I can find.

I try my hardest to spend between $300-$350. Sometimes I do this and sometimes I don't. Depends on what we need that month.

I don't know about you...but I take my time when I go to the grocery store. It's "me time". It my free time and I enjoy it and don't try to take it away from me. K? K.

Anyway- this is how I do things once a month and it works for us. It usually takes me about a week to "get ready", but its worth it to me. Of course we occasionally have to make grocery runs for emergency items , such as milk, diapers, formula, ect.... but you will have that.

SO, at this point you are probably thinking (1) of (3) things....

1. I'm a nutball who plans way too much and desperately needs to find a hobby. (or something along that line....)

2. You are thankful that I shared my magical ways with you and you are going to try to do a monthly meal plan yourself!

3. You could care less and only read this post cause....... well.................you are not sure. You just wasted several minutes of your life that you can never get back. For that, I'm sorry.

Either way.... that's how I attempt organization in my little home. It is what it is. It works for us.... most of the time. I think (hope?) I am just like everyone else...... just trying to keep my head above water and keep swimming. Just trying to save a dollar and make my family happy and keep fed. It's a tough job...... it really is.

Just wanted to share.

Cheerio.

1 comment:

  1. Hey jess. I am glad i am not the only one who does meal planning and couponing. If you could email me where you found your grocery list template. I havent found a good one that i like. my email is sweetmama539@yahoo.com. Love to read your blog.
    Melissa Turner(rieman)

    ReplyDelete