Friday, October 16, 2015

What will I tell them....... about Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston?

They were icons.

They were your mother's favorite.

They were who your mother wanted to be.

Your mother knows every single song each preformed.

These two singer/songwriters were at one time the best of the best. That cannot be denied. Some people are not as die hard fans as I am. I realize that is a personal choice. But the fact that their fame and stardom was incredible...... that's putting it lightly.

Michael Jackson was deemed "the king of pop".  His dance moves? Unbelieveable. His music? Impossible to not bop your head too. His appearance? Terrifying.

Image result for michael jackson king of pop

One thing I want Leo and Cece to know about Michael Jackson is that he was black. And that he was not a child molester.

There millions of rumors about the color of his skin and his infatuation with children.... but what I choose to believe is that he had a skin disease called vitiligo. This disease turns skin white in splotchy areas all over the body. Due to the fact that MJ was a little vain.... he did not want to be seen "splotchy" so he bleached his skin. He did this because eventually, this is what vitiligo does to a persons skin, but it takes years and years. I guess he wanted to get it over with.




As far as being a child molester... there are rumors and stories and interviews and eye witnesses and apparent victims and a chimpanzee..... but I choose to not believe them.

Because I hold MJ in the highest regard. Because I have always adored him since I was a kid. Because he used to be my "pretend husband" whenever I used to play house..... I didn't want that idolization that I had to be ruined.

Its similar to my husband's love of Tiger Woods. Toby loves Tiger. When the truth came out that Tiger was a lying, no-good, cheating, selfish, sex-addicted asshole bastard....... Toby refused to believe it. He (like I did MJ) had Tiger sitting on a pedestal and refused to take him down.

I'll never forget the day that I waited ALL DAY LONG for the video premier of his new song "You Are Not Alone" to be aired on MTV. It was also the song that his wife, Lisa Marie Presley, was in. I remember hating her.

 I remember the second the video came on, I immediately put my ghetto blaster up to the TV so I could record it and all of a sudden my mom came busting into the TV room and starting telling me.... something.... I don't remember what it was.

All I remember was that I couldn't hear the video/song and she was distracting me and I remember FLIPPING OUT on her cause I had waited ALL DAY for this video to air.

 I'll never forget the "WTF" look on her face.

 I did manage to get the song recorded, complete with about 5 seconds of my mom's voice and my epic meltdown somewhere in the beginning.


MJ is a ledged and I wish he was still alive for my kids to experience. Too bad he's not. But at least his kids, Paris and Blanket, are still around.

Seriously.... his son's name is blanket. Lol.

Another thing that made me fall in love with Michael Jackson was his dance ability.

 Incredible.

The moon walk was my favorite.

I tried my entire childhood to master this move.... and not being fully successful until I was in college.

Practice makes perfect I guess.... I remember the day when I actually moon walked.

I was in the dorm room of some friends and I was getting ready to show them that "I can moonwalk!" I felt like a star, gliding across the room with ease, watching them stare at me in awe and amazement......

until I moon walked right into an open closet, fell backwards against a wall, and felt the "thump" of a metal baseball bat hit me on the head.

Moment over.

Humiliation overcame me and I wanted to die.

Still, my love for the moon walker didn't fade.

"Man in the Mirror" inspired me to make a change.
"Smooth Criminal" made me feel like a bad ass when I danced to it.
"Thriller" scared me to death
"Dirty Diana" was always and still is my ultimate favorite MJ song.
"I Just Can't Stop Loving You" was written about me. For me.






His death hit me hard... like the metal baseball bat on my head. I remember I was having a lazy day, laying around on the couch. I saw a headline on the bottom of the TV screen. It was 2009 and Toby and I had been married for 2 years. Toby knew that I'd be a grieving mess, so he rushed home early from work to be with me in my time of sorrow.

ok, not really. He was totally non-emotional about this tragedy. So un-emotional that I annoyed me. Some people just don't get it.

RIP MJ.


Whitney Houston. Whit. The Voice. I love loved her.

Her song, "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" was the 1st cassette tape I owned. I remember the day my mom brought it home for me us.  I think it was a single.

Image result for Whitney Houston cassette tape

Her voice is stunning. Its soulful. Its powerful. It will give you chills. It will make you wanna jump up and dance like Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt in "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"!

A lot of Whit's songs helped me get through tough and trying times in my YA life.

"Where do Broken Hearts Go" helped me survive the breakup with my 2nd grade boyfriend, Lucas.

"I Have Nothing " contributed to my massive crush on Kevin Costner , who I loved so much I almost became medically depressed.

"I Will Always Love You" helps me remember my first slow-dance with a boy named Chris.

"How Will I Know" gave me the courage to ask my Mom questions about true love.

" I'm Every Woman" helped me sweat it out on the elliptical machine in college

Her version of "The Star Spangled Banner" made me proud to be an American

"The Greatest Love of All" inspired me to adopt a hungry child in Malaysia. (which I never was able to do cause I didn't have .23 a day when I was 8 years old.)

I remember getting her "Greatest Hits" CD and it seriously was the only thing I listened to.....for years..... until it got stolen out of my car while on a 4th of July trip to Columbus. It's still in debate WHO left the car door unlocked that night..... but I fully place the blame on my friend, Jayme. As soon as I realized my CD (among other things) was missing... I heard "It's Not Right, But It's OK" playing in my head.




Whitney was beautiful. Until she started doing crack.

Wait... not crack.... cause "crack is wack" "crack is cheap" .... maybe it was meth?

Either way, drugs took her over and she ended up drowning on a bathtub. Not a classy way to go out. Especially for THE Whitney Houston.








Overall, these two artists were my favorite. I hate they are dead. And I hate that my Greatest Hits CD got stolen.

If you are a die-hard MJ or Whit fan, then "You are not alone". The world doesn't understand. "All I wanna say is that They don't really care about us."


I will always be a fan. "I will always love you". I will make sure I carry your legacy on to my children and force  them hope they too become fans.


No comments:

Post a Comment