Thursday, April 5, 2012

Change is comin' (By: Jess)

I am slowly coming to grips with the idea that the way I do things is going to have to change. Once my little CeCe Grace enters this world, things are going to get shaken up.

Not in a bad way.... just a new, different way. Change is good. I don't have anything against change, but I just need to get used to it.



Usually, between 7:30pm and 8pm is when I start thinking about "the change".


This is the time when I am putting Leo to bed. It's a great time "to be alone with my thoughts". I sit in the rocking chair, snuggle Leo in my arms, listen his sound machine playing softly on "rain", and let my mind wander and wander and wander.

Once I become a mother of 2

I'm gonna have to get used to....

1. Not being able to have dinner waiting on Toby when he gets home from work. This is something I take pride in and something I love to do for my husband. I love planning out my meals, monthly, and knowing exactly what I am going to cook every night. But with two babies to watch (once Cece is here) I don't think I can multi-task like that!

2. Skipping dinner on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and every other Friday. These are the nights that I will be working solo. I'm assuming by the time I get both of them fed, bathed, and ready for bed it will be way past dinnertime. Eating dinner at 8pm does not sound like a good idea. Hey.... perfect time to start my diet, right?? Either I will go without din-din, or my dinner will consist of total crap, and not the hot meal that included of all the major food groups that I am used to.

3. Wearing my work clothes all evening and not changing into my comfy clothes as soon as I get home from school. Prolly just not gonna have a change to change.

4. Not watching my DVRed reality shows after school. This is gonna have to wait til the babes are in bed or on Sunday's when the Hubs is home. Mainly because when I watch these shows, I get very involved in them. I don't notice anything else around me. I am in "the zone". Usually, I catch up on my trash-tv when Leo is playing with his toys or I am feeding him dinner. But, once Cece is here, I will not be able to zone-out like that anymore. Too risky.

5. My living room being a wreck.

6. Leo's bedtime not being as strict as it is now. I have a funny feeling Miss CeCe will not care if it has to be quite so her bro can fall asleep at exactly the same time every night. Sorry, Leo. I will do the best I can.

7. Not being able to pick up Leo whenever I want or whenever he wants. I'm sure that CeCe will need to be held, swaddled, or rocked at some point and Leo will probably want to be held at the same time. Not gonna happen. Can't physically happen. Only one at a time, kids.

8. 2 babies crying at once.

9. Doing everything twice. Feeding one, than the other. Changing one, than the other. Rocking one, than the other. Bathing one, than the other. My golly....am I having twins?!?!

10. Not being able to join my friends for dinner in the evenings whenever the opportunity presents itself. Taking Leo out to eat (by myself) is a challenge, but it's do-able. I don't think I will be able to handle controlling 2 kids, out in public, by myself. At least our bank account will benefit. Wait.....I AM having a girl. Nevermind.

11. Running errands after school. Similar to the above... I'm pretty good at doing this task with Leo tagging along. But with 2 munchkins..... I may not be as good.

12. The sound of 2 DVD players playing in the back seat, instead of 1. At least they can both watch the same DVD.

13. A much fuller diaper bag. Enough "stuff" for two rug rats. You better believe I'm gonna get a stylish one. I saw a big, over sized purse at Kohls that would be perfect. It's big enough, has plenty of pockets for "stuff", and it very sassy! It was $100..... but I never pay full price for anything at Kohls, so I will patiently wait til a sale, coupon, and Kohls cash.....then IT'S MINE!

14. A bigger (double) stroller in my trunk getting knocked around when I take sharp turns too fast.

15. Not having my mornings to "take my time and get ready". At the present time, the wonderful husband (A.K.A. Toby) takes the morning responsibility of waking, changing, dressing, and feeding Leo while I get ready. Once Cece is here, she's all my responsibility in the morning. Which means, my "getting ready time" just got cut short. Rats. Owell....

16. Going to work after being up all night. When Leo was born I didn't have to go back to school for 4 months.... so by the time I went back, he was already sleeping through the night. Once Cece is here, I'm only going to be able to take 3 weeks off before I have to go back to work. I HIGHLY DOUBT she will be sleeping through the night at this point. Bless her. And me. And my students who will have to put up with me.

17. Paying babysitters more money. More babies=more money.

18. Paying more for groceries.

19. Not going to Ohio by myself. I used to love the 8 hour drive to Ohio, all by myself, where I could roll the windows down, blast my music up, and drive in the same lane for hours at a time without anyone bothering me. Not anymore. I am not brave enough to do that, with two lil' bits, by myself.

20. Leo not being "the one and only". He's gonna have to share the spotlight. That will be harder for me than him.

All these changes are things that I am getting myself ready for. I'm training. I'm mentally preparing. When Cece gets here....BRING IT!

I can almost hear the "Rocky" theme song playing in the background.

I am pepping myself up, giving myself pep talks, telling myself "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can".

But in all reality.... I know I can. I don't have a choice.

These are MY babies. MY responsibility. This is MY life and I love it. I wouldn't trade it for anyone else's. God gave me THIS life, and because of that I need to respect it and make him proud.

I don't want you to take this list of changes to be complaints, cause that's not what they are. I'm not complaining about having another baby. Yeah, it was unexpected and not part of "my plan", but o'well. (A testosterone shot from my doctor will do that. Did I just share too much?) God just laughs at "my plan".

Will all these changes be a challenge? Yep. Will I know exactly what to expect and have a plan for everything and have a routine set up from day 1 and do everything right all the time? HECK NO! Not even close.

But, it sure will be a crazy ride and I'm expecting some speed bumps, twists, u-turns, and road blocks that's for sure!

I just want to ready for the challenge and I guess making my list helped a little. I don't want to set myself up for failure or for disappointment. I know it will be hard, I know I will have my hands full (thank you "random people" for telling me this over and over and over and over), and I know that I can do it. I also know that Cece is a miracle from God Himself and adding her to our family is gonna change all our lives forever........and I can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. I have one little guy and am due in June with a girl... I can relate to this so much! I have a lot of the same fears. I think it's going to be hard at first, but then it will hopefully just become normal. And we won't even remember the nights we could have dinner on the table and a clean living room at the same time! We'll just think back and laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it seems overwhelming right now, but you'll get in your groove and be ready to do all the things you think are going to be too hard or not-doable by yourself. I managed Erik and newborn twins on my own just because I refused to be held prisoner at home because they outnumbered me.

    I know you'll be able to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ashley and Katie! Your words of encouragement mean sooooooo much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll be great Jess! It's definitely a challenge getting into the routine of having 2 to take care of and our house is a circus on a daily basis but I wouldn't change it for anything!

    ReplyDelete