Friday, April 6, 2012

When I realized. (By: Jess)

In the heart of the Easter season (and a little inspiration from my girl, E. Read "her story" HERE. ) I thought I would share my story about my relationship with God and how it came to be.

It's not really THAT mind blowing, or life changing, or inspirational, or Emmy award winning. So, please don't expect too much.

It's simple. (like me)

I have a Peter story, not a Paul story. (read "E"'s blog for clarification)

When I moved to the South 7 years ago I had a lot of people bluntly ask me, "Are you saved?"

Being a foreigner in a strange land, I really didn't know what that meant or how to respond to that question.

I guess I am "saved".

I mean, there was never a time in my life where God wasn't a part of it. I don't remember a time when I wasn't "saved". I have always felt "saved".

I grew up in a church. I've always went to church as long as I can remember. Sunday school, bible school, youth group, mission trips..... I was involved in it all. It was something I was raised to be apart of and something that I considered normal.

My relationship with God was.....average. It wasn't stellar and it wasn't non existent.

I knew His story. I talked to Him. I trusted Him. I prayed to Him at meal times and before bed. I memorized "The Lord's Prayer" thanks to the teachings of my sister. I did everything my Mom raised me to do.

Skip ahead about 18 years.

When I went off to college my relationship with God and my faith was no longer controlled by my mother. She wasn't there to "make" me to to church. She wasn't there to make sure I prayed before bed and at meals. She didn't drop me off at youth group and pick me up. It was all up to me now. I was on my own. I could decide to include Christ in my life or I could decide to leave Him behind.

I guess I decided to leave Him behind, cause I kinda sorta took a break for anything"church like" for a while.

My sister on the other hand took the completely different road than I. She grew closer to God and formed a whole new, stronger, more passionate relationship with Him. I didn't quite understand it, but it wasn't MY relationship, so I didn't need to understand it. She walked closer to Him and I ran away.

Don't jump to conclusions..... I didn't take a walk on the wild side (at least not the "girls gone wild" side) and do anything drastic. I was a typical college student and meeting new friends, dating, showing up at parties, and working to pay rent took over my life for awhile. I didn't completely abandon God, I just had "more important things to focus on". (at the time)

Lindsey plays a very important part in my faith story....I wonder if she knows it?

It wasn't until 2004 when I decided it was time to welcome God back into my life.

My life was crummy at this point. (or at least I thought it was) Read more about that HERE.

Things just did not seem to be going right and I was bummin. Lindsey could tell and was trying her hardest to cheer me up. Bless her. She was dating this guy (we will call him "R") and he was really pushing her to get more involved in church. She was willing and she talked to me about it. One day, she invited me to come along with her and "R" to the church they attended.

I went.
I loved it.
I missed it.
I cried.
I went back with them.
I went back without them.

And that was that.

From that point on, I knew that I wanted God to play a more important part in my life. I knew that I wanted church to be a vital part of my week. I knew that if I was going to amount to anything or if I wanted to succeed at anything or if I wanted to be happy about anything or if I wanted to be passionate about anything I HAD to start involving God.

That's it. My story is simple, but true.

When I moved to SC one of the first things I did was try to find a church to attend. I started going to Brookwood and I enjoyed it. It was a HUGE church (3,000+) compared to my hometown church had about 60 members total. I kinda got lost in the crowd there and that was OK with me. I stood out enough at work (being an outsider) and I was OK with blending in somewhere, even if it was just one time a week. Whenever I attended church there I felt at peace. I felt calm. I felt loved. I felt safe. I felt accepted. I felt understood. All because of the presence of God. I needed that.

When Toby moved down here to be with me, we tried out several different churches over the years only to eventually end back up at Brookwood when I started.

I think the older I get, the wiser I get about God's role in my life. He becomes more important to me everyday. My relationship with Him is something I work at everyday.

I lead the FCA group at my school. Right now the kids have an assignment. They are supposed to find a bible verse that is "theirs". A verse that talks to them in a special way and applies only to them. A verse that they can personally relate to and one that they will go to in a time of need. They need to have their verses' ready by May 18th and we are all going to share them at our end of the year party.

What they don't know is that it's my assignment too. I want a verse that's I all mine. One that speaks to me and applies to me and was written just for me. I will be in touch when I find it.......

Until then, Happy Easter!! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment