Monday, May 9, 2011

"Mommy Dearest" (By: Jessica)

So, yesterday was Mother's day. My first. It was wonderful! I have wanted to take part in this special day just for mothers for a long time.....finally I was able to! Toby, Leo, and Gertie got me some beautiful flowers and a cute balloon! Also, a sweet card, signed by all! We spent the afternoon at Falls Park! We had a picnic lunch and laid in the sun as long as we could stand it! Leo slept the whole time, so I'm sure he had a ball! We watched a bunch of little tike's wade in the river and chase ducks. It was so cute. We also watched a little boy play catch with his dad. Also, equally as cute. Even though we didn't say it to each other out loud, I know we both were thinking how much we couldn't wait til Leo was old enough to do those things! It was a very nice day!! A trip to Yogurt Mountain was also thrown in there...where I had the BEST Lemon frozen yogurt known to man!

But, Mother's Day wasn't totally complete. My own Mom was too far away. I would have loved to spend this day with her, but it just wasn't in the cards. She will be here in 2 days...... so my mother's day gift will just have to wait.

With all this "mother" stuff happening lately, it makes me think about my mom and how totally lucky I was to have HER raise me. So, Mom, if I've never told you, thank you for all you have ever done for me.....I love you more and more!

Thank you for being the the best stay-at-home-mom ever! I will always crave your chicken, noodles and mashed potatoes, hamburger gravy, chipped dried beef, wild rice soup, graham cracker pie, cherry crunch, puppy chow, whipped jell-o, and cream cheese bars. Your homemade dinners and desserts made my day, everyday!

Thank you for teaching me what a clean house is and how to keep one. Thanks to you I will never keep a toilet lid up and will always have a blanket (or 3) on the couch!

Thanks for teaching me to be polite. To say "please" and "thank you" and "pardon me" and never to say "fart" or "shut up" or "liar" cause they are bad words.

Thank you for teaching me that the best way to react to people who are mean to you is to "kill them with kindness". By far, some of the best advise you have ever given me. You have no idea how much this has helped me (and is still helping me) throughout my life.

Thank you for teaching me how to be a strong, independent woman. I'm glad you didn't spoil me and give me everything I wanted. I'm glad you made me have jobs and make my own money. I'm glad that I learned to live on my own and make my own way.

Thank you for not hoovering over me and letting me make mistakes and learn from them.

Thank you for showing me by example what a loving and affectionate marriage looks like. I love that you and dad kissed each other in front of us and held hands. I love that you constantly told each other you loved each other in our presence and still continued to have "date nights". I love how you and dad talked and were each other's best friend.

Thank you for raising me in a wonderful church family and giving me the chance to grow up in a church and find my own relationship with God. Thank you for showing me what "faith" really is.

Thank you for always telling me I'm beautiful no matter what......and that you can always look pretty with a make up and big earrings!

Thank you for allowing us to always have a family pet.

Thank you for never trying to be my "friend" when I was growing up and always being a "mom". I had enough friends......

Thank you for coming to EVERY event I was ever involved in. Jr High cheer leading games, Jr high track meets, dance recitals, dance competitions, choir performances, plays, awards banquets. You never missed anything. Ever.

Thank you for taking us on family vacations.

Thank you for giving me a great childhood and letting me be a kid!

Thank you for helping me and teaching me how to love cooking and baking.

Thank you for teaching me how to shop and enjoy it. Also, for teaching me that you NEVER wear white after Labor Day.

I love you more and more and more and more and more..........

No comments:

Post a Comment