Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Whata Man (By: Jessica)

I am married to an AMAZING man. I have been aware of this fact for (almost) 4 years now. The day I met Toby Rolfes I was immediately attracted to his warm smile, quite and sweet personality, adorable laugh, and the fact that he was by far the NICEST MAN I had ever met. I remember thinking, "wow...the girl who snags him is gonna be pretty darn lucky." Well, luck found ME, and here we are......

Like I said, I have been aware of the fact that Toby is/was a great catch. But, now 4 years of marriage and one precious baby boy later, I am more aware of it than ever.

Not only is Toby an incredible husband and best friend....he is an even better father.

I am so blessed to be part "Team Rolfes". Toby and I make a great team and he is BY FAR the best "team player" I have ever had the liberty of playing with. he is the MVP of this team. I never had any doubt that Toby would be a fantastic daddy....I just never thought he would be THIS GOOD.

It all started when we saw Leo on the ultrasound screen and I saw a smile sweep across Toby's face that I had never seen before. He was so proud and it showed.

In the delivery room, I don't think I could have held it together without him. I had a very easy delivery (praise God), but my emotions and nerves got the best of me and Toby did such a good job of keeping me calm, focused, smiling, giggling, and grounded. His "coaching" was exactly what I needed, and I firmly believe that it was because of Toby, Leo's delivery was as easy as it was. As soon as that little boy arrived in the flesh, we both cried tears of joy and this man; my man; was not afraid to let them flow!

Once delivery was over I experienced pain in my back and pelvis that I had never known. It was terrible and totally unexpected. Toby cried along with me and I could tell that he was feeling my pain. For some reason, seeing him experience this pain with me helped to ease it a bit.

From the second Leo was here, Toby was a "hands-on-dad". Immediately we started sharing all the parental duties. My turn to feed, his turn to feed, my turn to change the diaper, his turn to change the diaper, my turn to sleep, his turn to sleep.... we fell right into that routine. Team- work at it's best.

Bringing Leo home was something I wasn't prepared for.....emotionally. It hit me like a ton of bricks as soon as we walked into our house with the car seat.....and Toby sensed it. I went directly upstairs to our bedroom to break-down and was greeted with the most beautiful baby bassinet I had ever seen. Along with that beautiful piece of furniture, was a card. A card that I will forever cherish. Toby has given me dozens of cards throughout our relationship...but this one takes the cake. As soon as I saw these gifts from my husband, the tears started flowing. While I stood there sobbing, with my face in my hands, I heard him come up the stairs and I felt his arms wrap around me. We both stood there, hugging and crying, and I had never felt so loved and safe in my whole life. Things were gonna be OK. (and then he called my Dr and ordered me some meds. Bless him.)

A lot of people had me prepared for the craziness of a newborn. I was ready! Bring it! But it was not what I expected....in a good way. (read previous blog..."Things I Didn't Expect")

With Toby as Leo's daddy and as my husband, things couldn't have been easier for me. Toby has stepped up to the plate in a way I didn't expect him to. Sleepless nights? Nope. With us taking turns, it wasn't/isn't that bad. Yeah, we were/are both more tired than we had ever been, but that's what naps are for, right? I am not working now and Toby is, but that doesn't stop him from stepping up to the plate to be the best daddy he can be and missing a couple hours of sleep at night. I find such comfort knowing that if there is a late night feeding that I am too tired to go through, all I have to do is ask Toby and he is up and outta bed. No questions asked. No guilt passed. Toby has changed just as many diapers as I have. Has has fed Leo just as many times as I have. He has washed just as many bottles as I have. He has taken out the trash, filled with dirty diapers, just as many times as I have. He has come with me to every doctors appointment. He brings home formula and diapers whenever I ask him to and never complains about how much they cost. He has cooked just as many meals as I have and has missed just as many meals as I have. He lacks just as many hours of sleep as I have. He has put up with just as many crying fits as I have. He has given Leo ALL HIS BATHS. (this is something I am crazy jealous of!) Toby refuses to let me give Leo is bath. It's "their time" together and my baby boy has never been cleaner! He also has done all the "nail clipping". Something I'm terrified to do and I'm sure he is too, but bites the bullet anyway!

I am so blessed and I know this. More than ever. Toby is a gift that God has given me and for that I will forever be grateful.

Side note: He tells me he loves me a million times a day and reminds me how beautiful I am constantly..........and he dosen't forget to let me know that he LOVES my (bigger than it used to be) booty. Lol. Whata man.

No comments:

Post a Comment