Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ain't Life Grand. (By: Jess)

I never realized the importance of Grandparents until Leo was born.

Leo Beck is so blessed to have AMAZING grandparents. Toby and I are blessed that Leo has AMAZING grandparents. Ceceilia Grace will be equally as blessed to have AMAZING grandparents.

Growing up, my relationship with my grandparents was...... average. One set lived about 30 minutes away and the other set lived out of state. First in Indiana, then in Flordia, then in Nevada, and finally in Arizona. I was never really "close" with either set, nor did I see any of them on a regular basis. Obviously I saw the set who lived closer more often, but there was still a distance emotionally as well as physically. I saw the "out of state grandparents" MAYBE once a year, and as I got older (and probably less cuter and less fun to play with or buy toys for) I saw them about once every 4 or 5 years. They all played a part in my life.... always remembered my birthday, never forgot me at Christmas, and a hug and kiss everytime I saw them came natural. One set is still alive and kickin. I see them when I go home to Ohio.....sometimes. The other set is with my Dad....in Heaven. I miss them a lot and still can't believe they are gone. I was blessed to be able to say "good-bye" to both of them over the phone and tell them 1,000 times how much I love/loved them. There was no service for either one of them, so I never got a chance to see them and say goob-bye, which was sad. I have a few items to remember them by, and a head-ful of wonderful memories.

Toby's relationship with his grandparents is one I envy! It is beautiful and loving and caring and respectful and comfortable. When I met Toby, it wasn't long before I met his grandparents. They are as important to Toby as his parents are. I was immediately impressed and jealous of how close Toby was with them. One set lives about 2 minutes from him and the other lived about 3 minutes from him. He saw and talked to them all on a daily basis. They were present at every holiday and birthday party and were involved in every aspect of Toby's life. That amazes me, but to Toby it's perfectly normal. I love Toby's grandparents as if they were my own......and they let me. Toby still continues to talk on the phone to all of them. Not daily, or even weekly, but monthly for sure. They call him and he calls them and a trip home is NEVER complete without visiting them, chatting, laughing, eating, and maybe having a drink or two. They all have been to visit us in SC  more than once and when they come we love showing them around the town!!

Leo's relationship with his grandparents is one I am extremely proud of! He LOOOOOVES his Nonnie (na-na as he calls her) so much! She plays with him, talks to him, laughs with him, kisses his ears, gives him baths, rocks him, and spoils him rotten! I am confident that Nonnie will always make sure that Leo is stylin in the cutest clothes, always has clean ears and clipped fingernails, and that he knows that SHE loves him MORE!  Leo equally LOOOOOVES his pa-pa and grandma. His eyes light up whenever Pa-Pa enters the room and constantly walks around the house whispering his name. When grandma is around, Leo is in total control and she is at his beckon call! (and he knows it!) He will play outside for hours and hours with grandma, wearing her out I'm sure, but she doesn't care! She will do anything for her Leo Beck! Grandma will always be sure Leo is constantly learning......something...., always has a strong love for Mickey, and has every beach toy known to man! Pa-Pa will be there to teach him the correct way to hold a golf club, how to correctly bet on the horses, and the difference between a screwdriver and a wrench.

Leo and Cece are pretty lucky kido-s!

 ~Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.
 ~ Grandparents are similar to a piece of string - handy to have around and easily wrapped around the fingers of their grandchildren.
~The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.


No comments:

Post a Comment